Saturday, March 5, 2011

Progress Update: Post 2011 Lean into Spring

Long Time No Post...
So I know it has been a LONG time since I last posted here. For those of you that were hoping for more frequent blog posts my apologies... Honestly though I feel like Quality is much more important than Quantity... ( and yes, I promise I will finish writing my review of Lights Out )... Now on to the good stuff...

My Progress
Last time I posted here that I had 4 goals. They were:

1) Switching out all my fatty protein sources for lean sources ( i.e. Chicken instead of Beef )
2) Cutting out Sweet Potatoes / Squash / Blueberries ( I already don't eat much fruit )
3) No more Whey Protein post WOD... Going to EAT all my protein instead of drinking it
4) I'm 211#'s... I'll be eating 210 grams of protein a day ( That's 30 Blocks for you Zone Folks)



During the 7 week period I accomplished all of these goals with the exception of the week leading up to the Garage Games. And here is a break down of a typical day in terms of nutrition.


I kept my daily kcals to around 3100, 210 grams of protein ( I don't trust the protein calculation from fitday (above) , and generally 50g or less of carb's a day. Now I did do a little experiment with a cyclical ketogenic diet, but honestly I didn't give it enough time to have an honest assessment of how well it works.
And here are the results. Before and After pictures, with dates and Body Fat percentages. I have also included last years before and after pictures as well, just to see the progress.




Results
While the calipers say that I am at 6% Body Fat I think 8% is more accurate. That being said I still have some work to do. So what are my goals? Where do I want to go from here?


You all know that I love to be a human laboratory of n=1... So here are the goals for the next few months.


1) 8 Hour Feeding window... Fast from 9pm till 1pm every day.
2) CrossFit Endurance 2-3x a week
3) Focus of Performance instead of leaning out, and let the leanness come


So as per (1) I am going to try a little experiment with Intermitting Fasting (IF) and see how well it works. I am also looking into different supplements to take in order to incorporate IF with CFE.


Honestly, I am happy when I wake up every morning and look in the mirror, and while I know I still have more work to do I'm quite satisfied with how far I've come :-)


If any of you have suggestions regarding IF and CFE with CF please let me know if the comments. I'll update you all as soon as I have an opinion :-)

4 comments:

  1. Nice work Tripp. What BF% do you plan to walk around at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dave,

    Honestly, I think that I'd be happy staying around 8% all year round... That being said, I'm specifically looking into the "Stubborn Fat" as Martin Berkham calls it. Looking into Yohimbine HCl as well as just IF in general to help with it.

    Any advice on the subject?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do Berkham's 8 hour feeding period around 3 days a week. I like doing it, as I'm usually really busy in the morning anyway so not being hungry for breakfast is convenient.

    Doing metcons might make it tough for you to get rid of any stubborn fat though. You know how Robb Wolf and Andy Deas joke about that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. remarkable progress man! Are you still going to do that progenix/nsh comparison?

    ReplyDelete